Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 29 May 2012

Info Post
Naneun Gasuda (나는 가수다) or NAGASU (나가수)


As I was too busy to blog about the third night of MBC's "I Am a Singer" season two (5/20/2012) last week, and as the videos of the recent show are not available on Youtube, I’ll just add my two cents about the third night of the show, which was the elimination round involving the bottom six.

Park Sangmin sang Wax’s Yeojeong (여정, “Journey” or “Itinerary”) and won the round while Baekdusan, Korea’s legendary heavy metal band, sang Clon’s “Kungtari Shabara” and was sent home.  Their elimination wasn’t what I expected in terms of their performance but quite understandable considering the current state of heavy metal music in Korea.

Both Park Mikyung and Lee Younghyun respectively delivered another disappointing performance just like they'd done in the first round.  Park appeared to be quite washed up as a singer and Lee’s over-the-top rendition of Yim SangA’s “Musical” just made me go back and listen to its original version. (Yim SangA or Sang A Im-Propp is a Korean singer/actress-turned-handbag designer/entrepreneur of Sang A.) To me, Jung Yeop gave a truly outstanding performance along with Park Sangmin.  The song Jung sang was one of my all-time favorites by the singer/dancer Kim Wansun, who I think is one of the most underrated singers in Korean music.    

"I Am a Singer" season two doesn't seem as exciting as it was in the first season and as it needs to be at this point to do well in the ratings.  Even though its cast does not thrill me as much as it did, however, I still kind of like it as the singers rarely go over the top and it’s rarely a sing-loud-with-high-pitch competition; it feels like watching the competitive version of KBS’s “Sketchbook.”


Jung Yeop: "Only Mine"
on MBC's NAGASU (aired on 5/21/2012)

Lyrics:  “Only Mine”

Yes, from the beginning, in this world,
There was no such thing that was only mine
I just wanted to believe so
Trying to fool myself
What if I only feel alive when I love?
I gotta let go of my pain
As if passing through a short tunnel
In a part of my heart that sent you,
I place a pot of flowers that I grow with my tears
With my longing that is growing little by little,
I’ll cherish even the parting
My sorrow is only mine
There's no more use in crying
As this world is always the same
And even the reality of me who let you go



Original Version: Kim Wansun
Namane Geot "Only Mine" (1990)


Lyrics:  “Musical”

Leave my life alone
Don’t interfere with it anymore
I’m gonna born again into a world of my own
Where I can live my way

I need nothing else
If there is music and dance
Just as I am, as I please, I’ll open my wings
I’m the one who owns my life

(Refrain) Now I know it gives my life true meaning
When I’m always in thick rhythm
I'll have no regrets
If I choose to live the same life
I’d go anywhere with music

Now I want to take a different path,
Searching for another me inside me
I wonder what’s on the other side of the world
I want to soar higher ’cause no one can live for me



Original Version: Yim SangA
Myujikeol "Musical" (1996)


Park Sangmin: "Journey"
on MBC's NAGASU (aired on 5/21/2012)


Lyrics:  “Journey”

It’s the night when the streetlights are sobbing
Can’t believe I still love you after all these years
I wonder how old I am
I’ve faded like a flower throughout the years
There are tears of loneliness I’ve been holding back

We loved, we loved, we loved like crazy
I miss you, I want to see you so bad
Before my love cools down

Our two shadows that wondered in the starlight
Looked like one
I wonder where you are now
I want to see you so bad

We loved, we loved, we loved like crazy
I miss you, I want to see you so bad
Come back to me just for once
Before my sad tears dry
I miss you, I want to see you so bad
Before my love cools down

Remember this:
If you leave, don’t ever come back


Original Version: Wax
Yeojeong "Journey" (2002)

KOREAN MUSIC: MBC's "I Am a Singer" Season 2 (1)
KOREAN MUSIC: MBC's "I Am a Singer" Season 2 (2)
KOREAN MUSIC: MBC's "I Am a Singer" Season 2 (4)

0 comments:

Post a Comment